- Who We Are
- The Institute for Global Engagement & Empowerment (IGEE) was launched in 2017 at Yonsei University in Seoul, Korea to contribute to implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development by integrating various missionary and volunteer activities within the University, directing intellectual and human resources to address social issues, and educating the next generation of global citizens. IGEE works within the framework of the Sustainable Development Goals.
What We Do
- Networking Information
- Identify, utilize and link academic and human resources available in Yonsei University
- Collaborative Engagement
- Connect academic expertise to field work
- Education & Research
- Educate global citizens and leaders in sustainable development Foster research on SDGs
- Transformative Messaging
- Increase public awareness of SDGs Promote partnerships and cooperation
- Chejungwon Established
(Later Renamed Severance Hospital)
- Yonhi College Founded
- Severance & Yonhi College Merge to Become Yonsei University
- IGEE Established
- Horace G. Underwood
- Founder of Underwood School
- Dr. Horace Newton Allen
- Founder of Chejungwon
- Dr. Oliver R. Avison
- First Head of Chejungwon
Founder of Severance Hospital
Past, Present and Future
The history of Yonsei University began in 1885 with Korea’s first modern hospital Chejungwon which was established by a medical missionary Horace N. Allen. Around that time, missionary Horace G. Underwood visited Korea and assisted in medical treatment at Chejungwon while starting his wok in education and missionary activities. The work of these two missionaries in Chejungwon has become the foundation of Yonsei.
Works related to medicine were institutionalized to become Severance Medical College. In education, what was initially known as Underwood School later became Yonhi College. In 1957, Yonhi College and Severance Medical College merged to become Yonsei University.
Committed to our founders’ core principles of Truth and Freedom, Yonsei has deeply engaged in the needs of our society. Now through IGEE, Yonsei will further serve and enrich our communities and humanity by promoting sustainable development.